Monday, April 4, 2011

Bring Our War Dollars Home.

So in my resolution to try and be a better blogger, here it goes. I'm going to start with a quote by one of my favorite people 


A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death. 
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., 1967


That quote was true when he said it in 1967, and it is still true today.  I only wish that our elected officials would listen to King, and re-allocate our war spending to fund the domestic needs of the country.  


I spent quite a bit of time this weekend writing a speech for the Bring Our War Dollars Home Press conference that took place in Augusta today. 


I was in charge of talking about the impacts of war spending on financial aid, and how war spending is devastating higher education.  I'll enclose my speech eventually.  


But I when I work up this morning at 8 am, trying not to freak out, and it worked rather well until I got to Augusta.  On the elevator ride up to the Hall of Flags, I noticed that I left my speech in the car, which meant that I had a freak out for approximately 30 seconds before TJ dashed off to go get it for me.  


The press conference went well.  Bruce said that there was about 200 people there, and then more people showed up for the labor rally that was taking place after.  There was also a draw-in, which seemed to be overshadowed by the proceedings going on in the front of the room, but there were several fantastic artists there, including William Hessian and Kenny Cole.  Some wonderful work was created today, along with other pieces that were created at other draw-a-thons.  


Lisa Savage, of Code Pink Maine, talked about how the 3.4 billion dollars that that Maine has spent on the war since its beginning would be enough to provide every incoming Freshman in the UMS System, with full tuition for 21 years.  To me, this seems like a good way to spend all of that money that is being used to destroy another country.  


Perhaps my favorite moment of the day was when Tom Sturtevant tried to introduce me to Richard again, who is one of the VFP members that I have formed a close bond with.  


Although I did not create any art today, it was wonderful to be around such creative spirit, and besides, if all goes according to plan, I will have the opportunity to create art on Sunday at Peace, Love and Musicfest. 


Well I am completely exhausted, and am having a hard time forming coherent thoughts, so I will try to update this tomorrow but no promises. 

1 comment:

  1. Nicole, We are reading you with interest, so keep blogging when you can.

    ReplyDelete