Sunday, October 31, 2010

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary. The evil it does is permanent—- Ghandi.

On November 3rd, I will be participating in the first day of the Maine Walk for Peace, Human Needs, and Veteran’s Care.

Although I am only walking 16 miles, I know my presence is important. The war is what’s making us poor. The war is the reason for school consolidations, lack of financial aide, and numerous other social problems in the United States. This my generation’s problem, and we need to get involved. We need to step up, and stop being passive citizens.

The goal of this walk is to engage the American public on the true costs of the war, which is costing the US over 8 Billion dollars a month. The average annual cost of the War for the town of Farmington, where I attend school is 1,900,000 dollars. The total war cost over the past nine years is 16,900,000— for a small college town in Western Maine. The War Economy is not working for me, and something needs to be done to stop this spending of our tax dollars that are desperately needed here at home. I can think of a million ways that the the state of Maine could have spent that 2.94 billion dollars on.


I am going to break it down for you-Approximately 289 thousand people live in the 43 communities we will be walking through. That is almost 22 percent of Maine’s population
-The Iraq and Afghanistan Wars have cost the people of these towns, approximately 640 million dollars in the past 9 years. That is almost two-thirds of a billion dollars in war costs to just the people of these towns!
-The total cost of these wars averages out to 2300 dollars for every man, woman and child. That is 1000 dollars a year for a 4 person family!


This is why we are walking. We are walking, we are not marching, we are not demonstrating. We will be walking, to raise awareness. We are showing our commitment to ending these wars. I know that our efforts alone will not end these wars, but every movement needs to start somewhere.

For more information on the Peace Walk, visit vfpmaine.org.

It starts on November 3rd, in the Computer Center Parking Lot at the University of Maine at Farmington.
I hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment